The introduction of a zoning system is one of easiest ways of making your HVAC system energy efficient. The installer’s task in your home will be to introduce heat control thermostats at various sections of your home.
For instance, you can add a zone in the basement, upper floors, ground floor and any other desirable areas. This can allow you to still heat or cool the rooms that you do not use often in your home and control the amount of energy used. If you are looking to set up a new heating ventilation and air-conditioning unit in your house right now, you can introduce the zoning system as well. Nevertheless, if you feel that creating zones now will inflate your project bill a lot, there is something you can do now for the sake of the future.
- Ductwork – This is a crucial part of the HVAC system installation process. As a result, you should ensure that your installer performs the Manual J and Manual D calculations. The Manual J are usually performed to determine the correct hvac design for your home while the Manual D helps to determine the correct size of the necessary equipment. By the way, you are advised not to accept business from a technical expert who uses trial and error to identify the best HVAC design for your home.
- Dampers – These are used together with zoning systems and are used to regulate the air flow, heat and humidity. A zone damper should be situated where they can be accessed easily because they require regular maintenance. So again you need to use a drawing that indicates the location and labels for each zone and damper. The item could easily be buried in the soil and can be difficult to trace.
- Choose your Hvac contractor carefully – A contractor who is familiar with the zoning unit designs is the best to work with. One can use the internet to find the appropriate professional to do the job.
As mentioned briefly above zones can provide various benefits and some of them include the following.
- If you install a singled zoned system you can save energy and hence money.
- A multiple system is perfect if you have big home with upper floors and basement.
- Temperatures can be controlled per section of your house.
- The areas of the house that you do not need to use regularly can be shut down as long as this does not cause any problems.
- During the night, a person can shut down the areas that must be air conditioned during the day and condition only the bedrooms.
- The zoning system can reduce the energy consumed by the variable speed motor by approximately a third.
This item also has some problems too and it is good if you know about them.
- If you want to enhance efficiency, you should use a two-stage air conditioner instead of a one-stage air conditioner.
- It is important to make sure that the wiring is done correctly and this can only happen if you choose a good contractor.